Ok, so I FINALLY got all the pictures uploaded so now I can talk about them! Here are the 4 ladies starting our trip! Joni, me, Dana and Stephanie! Dana was so kind to let us all have a sleepover at her place the night before take-off!
The first stop was Jane Austen's house in Chawton. This is where she actually wrote most of her books. She lived here with her mother and sister after her father died. This is where she became sick and was really her last home. Although, she did move to Winchester to be closer to her doctor but only lived 2 or 3 weeks there before she died.
Just a really neat street sign pointing us in the right direction!

All of us again right outside the kitchen. Kitchens were separate back then because of the heat they produced!
This is really the size and style of the table Jane would write her books on. Wow! Today, we have huge tables to spread things out on...well, actually, we have laptops don't we?

This is the house where Jane died. They aren't sure what she died from. Possibly cancer. She was so young, only 41!
Here is her grave in Winchester Catherdral. We had to have Mr. Darcy in the picture! Jane was one of the last people to be buried here.
Winchester Cathedral
On our way to our next stop, we passed this famous site so we literally had less than 5 minutes to run from the parking area to where we could get a decent picture of Stone Hedge. Very interesting huh?
Here I am in the halls of Harry Potter's Hogwart's Castle. They actually used this area I think in #1, #2 and possible #4. This is Lacock Abbey. There were parts of P&P that were filmed in the streets of Lacock which is a very charming little town!
The claim to fame. Mr. Darcy wanted to be a part of that!!
Lacock Abbey in the Spring! So beautiful!!!
BATH
Bath was so amazing! I love this city! For all of you die hards, I'm sure you will recognize
"The Cresent" which Jane describes in her books, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. We also walked down "The Circus" as well!
The Upper Rooms
This also is mentioned in her books and of course were part of the films.
Stephanie posing with Mr. Darcy in the Jane Austen Historical Museum! :)
We love you Mr. Darcy!
The way this street looks today...
and the way it looked back then.
At the end of this street you will see someone getting dressed after taking a dip in one of the baths! We couldn't see in, although, years ago they did have windows where you could see! I guess they changed it so the bathers could have some privacy! :) Also, this is one of the streets that they transformed in Persuasion.
THE PUMP ROOM!
Enough said right?

Here's the pump and the famous water coming from it! I tasted it. Gross is all I have to say! Warm spring water is not my cup of tea!
This place was so busy and the reason is because the rolls are to die for!
Sally Lunn Buns are amazing!!
Here we are in Bath with our totally awesome tour guide. She knows everything about everything! I was very impressed that she did our tour in high heels! Wow! If you ever need a tour guide of Bath, Dana has her number!
Another cool street post with directions to here and there!
I can't remember where Jane was born but this is an Abbey in the town. It is not however the one that her father and brother took care of. This was our last stop before heading back to the starting line! It was so fun! Thanks so much to Dana for inviting all us for a super fun, never to be forgotten weekend!

3 comments:
You did a great job summing it up. I am just going to post a link to your site, if you don't mind. Good times!
Dana
I can't imagine doing anything more fun than a search for Mr. Darcy. That is like a fantasy trip with a little Harry Potter thrown in for good measure. Maybe I can talk the Book Club into making this trip!
Looks like a wonderful trip, I am going to have to see all those places some day! By the way, did Sophie get her Flat Stanley back from us, along with the book we sent? I am sorry that it took us so long to return him!
Post a Comment