This past weekend we took off to see one of many many castles in Germany! One of Dave's friends told us about Burg Eltz and said it was his all time favorite! So, we said, "Hey, let's go then" It was only about a 2 hour drive. The drive was nice and quiet. I remember this because lately it has not been all that quiet! The kids have been pestering each other lately...it must be part of the "adjustment period" that everyone goes thru! :) Although, I haven't been pestering anyone. Anyways, the drive was nice and beautiful. We drove along the Rhine for awhile. Luke really liked that river. "It's so big! I thought it was a lake," he said. There were speed boats and sailboats on it which I thought was really cool! Well, we went to the castle without Euros! Oops. We had to spend 50 Euros in order for them to take a credit card. Bad for Dave, nice for me! :) I purchased a really cool plate with the castle etched into it! I don't know if I should keep it or give it to a family member for Christmas! Hmmm, we'll see! Dave just realized that he is actually interested in history! Who knew? He loved listening to our guide tell us about all the interesting little facts about this castle. It was hard for me to listen because Luke had to go to the bathroom so bad he truly thought he might have an accident. I told him he absolutely could not have an accident in the castle!! He managed to make through just in time to run to the bathroom! Thank goodness! Well, two of my favorite facts from the tour are: 1) This castle was one of the very very few that has never been destoyed. Not even Louis IVX touched it. That is because the Eltz family is very political...and knew all the right people. (But, the tour guide assured us that they were always on the "right" side of the battles/wars.) and 2) The Eltz family still lives in the castle after all these years...it was built in the 12th century! Cool huh?
Burg Eltz on a foggy day!


Cool view from an old look out post! The coast is clear!

On our way back, we saw this other castle up on the hill. I believe it was called Burg Thalias. It was a very foggy day so my photos didn't turn out great but oh well, it was still super fun and beautiful!
The castle looks over the Rhine River

6 comments:
Hi Laur! I love reading about your adventures and seeing pictures that are so recent...sure miss you...i miss you more now cuz you are so far away!!! Love ya!
All I can say is...I am SOOO jealous! I love Europe and would love to be able to live there with my kids!
What you're doing is just plain mean...making every single one of us completely jealous of where you are. It's not nice to flaunt the fact that you get to say, "hey, I don't know what we should do today. Oh, wait, yes I do. We should go see this AMAZING castle." Yup, super mean.
But I'm glad you made it and are already enjoying yourself. I will look forward to reading more!
I've been so jealous of Paul and Holly Domm and now it's your turn. I am so excited for your family. Keep sharing the fun pictures of your tour through Europe.
very cool!
How cool that you guys just got there and are already exploring! Those are some pretty cool castles. Why don't you bring one home with you and reconstruct it piece by piece. Then we could have two castles to party at!
Post a Comment