Monday, January 11, 2010

Paris: Christmas Vacation Trip: 12/28th and 29th 2009

This was our last big adventure of 2009! It was very fun...but cold...and crowded! We weren't thinking of the crowds that would be there to bring in the new year so we were surprised at the long lines and the crowded trains. It was a bit stressful keeping Luke and Sophie close by but we all made it back home safe and sound.We stayed at this very nice Marriott Golf Resort that was very affordable due to it being off season. In the On-season, the rooms we stayed in were about $600 per night, off-season 1/3 of that. Not bad, I'd say. Anyways, it was just a couple miles from EuroDisney which is about 1/2 hour away from downtown Paris.
There was a swan outside our condos, so Bev took a picture of it. I edited it
a bit but I thought it was a very cool picture!

The first night, we just went down to a local mall and ate dinner there. It was sooo good. We had Italian.
Grandpa bought some very tasty hot chocolate at a store there at the mall and Nana bought some gloves and I bought that brown hat that you will see in most of the photos. Did I mention that this mall was HUGE!? It just went on forever.

The next day, we took the train/Metro into Paris. It was really neat coming up the stairs from the underground to behold the great Notre Dame Cathedral! That's a neat memory. I remember Dave being very impressed by that.
We then took a bus around to the other sites like The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower, and The Arc de Triomph. That was a busy day! And the metro was sooo busy. We all were getting back on to head back to the Marriott and Dave literally had to push his way on because it was so crowded! But, he did make it on just before the doors closed and I apologized to one of the ladies that got a bit smooshed from it!

The Louvre was closed which is fine because we weren't planning to go in anyway. But, we were looking for a bathroom there. You know how hard it is
to find a bathroom in Paris??? Poor Luke was dieing there for awhile! Finally, Dave Sr. just took him into a restaurant and they let him use their bathroom. I guess usually they say no but for a little kid, they had mercy! Merci restaurant people!

The Eiffel Tower was great but we didn't get to go to the top of that either because the lines were absolutely crazy! Oh well, even if we got up there it would have been so crowded that it wouldn't have been fun at all. Instead, we bought lunch from a street vendor for over $100 total and that consisted of a few pieces of pizza, three ham sandwiches and a few chocolate, chocolate banana, and ham n cheese crepes which are so tasty! Yummy! We also, bought a few things from the guys that stand out front and sell little souveniers like Tower key chains and
little sculptures. One guy almost had
Dave convinced to
buy a painting. They were pretty, and we were
tempted but then declined.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Hey, We are going to be staying at that exact Marriott in April. We are bringing the kids and are going to be in France for 10 days. So fun to get a preview from your blog. We are getting quite excited. Looks like you had a great time.

Megan said...

Fun! I can't believe my little nieces and nephews are seeing all this stuff before me! So not fair! Aaron and I are talking about hopefully coming to visit you guys in two years. Sans kids :)

Susie said...

Sounds like it was amazing. Jeff & I went to Paris a few years ago -we also decided not to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower - too long of a wait. Some of our favorite places were actually outside of Paris. If you make it back to France, I'd love to share!

Cathy said...

Wow, you guys are really making the most of your new post in Europe, way to go! Your pictures are beautiful. I went to Paris when I was 18 and I had so many memories come back as I read your blog post. I bought one of those little Eiffle Tower keychains and I loved eating those yummy crepes off the street!