Well I finally made it to Iraq. Its quite a convoluted process to get over here. I started with a 6 day vacation in Georgia where the army provided me with such useful equipment as mosquito netting, tent poles and an entrenching tool (shovel). Of course I also got some cool looking stuff like body armor and an M9. After sitting around Georgia our plane finally took off for Kuwait. On the way I got to see the inside of an air terminal in Nova Scotia and the airport in Hungary (from the inside of the plane) while we refueled. Waiting for us in Kuwait was a nice warm tent with cots. We did some additional training and finally took off for Mosul early Wed. morning. I felt like a real soldier sitting in the back of the C-130 in the middle of the night undergoing a combat landing. But once I got to the hospital I quickly remembered how I don't resemble a GI in the least. Things are pretty comfortable. We have hot showers, lots of food and a nice gym to work out at. Hospital staff are all great and it looks like we'll have lots of fun. Skype has, for the most part, worked well to see Laurie and the kids and they all look great. Time is counting down, only about 5 months and 3 weeks to go!
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow. I can't even imagine. What an experience this will be for you. You know, Laurie is going to be expecting a muscle man when you get home because all you can do on your off-time is work out! How many hours a week are they having you work?
Is an M9 a gun? I'm clueless.
Hey David...good to see you at last looking like a soldier! As I did...although it was 45 years ago for me!
Laurie sent me a link to your blog, and I passed it on to Tom and Barb as well...any other of your old neighborhood here in Henrietta you'd like to link to?
BTW, are you supposed to be telling us what a great place it is over there in Iraq? The media has us all believing that it's hell over there!
Oh, and just in case Laurie didn't mention it, that 45 foot blue spruce in my back yard blew down during that January wind storm we had here...81 mph winds! Sent her some pictures, so you can see them when you get back. Luckily, it just glanced the house...did no damage except to knock the gutters loose, and wiped out my grill! Darren and I and a couple of chain saws had it cleaned up in two days.
Well...keep us informed of what's going on there so we can hear the truth for a change!
Harley
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Keep us posted!
David,
It's great to see that you'll be blogging while you're there. Let us know if you need any more useful items like rain boots or ponchos to go along with your mosquito netting. Good luck keeping track of your M9.
Todd, Nicole & Hailee
Post a Comment