Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Oldie of the Group

It is strange being the oldest of any group...being raised with 13 siblings, 8 of which are older than me, I always was one of the younger ones around. But, I suppose things must change. Of course I'm still one of the younger ones in my family but in Dave's family, I'm the oldest by 2 years 4 months and 2 days. I've never been comfortable with that but that's OK. Luckily, I act young! The other night, at book club I was the oldest gal there. Yeah, I was...I thought, "Maybe I should start a book club at the old folks home just down the street, just there at Patriots Landing, then I wouldn't be the oldest one for sure!" Then I thought, "Well, no, I mean what would we read? What time would we have to have it? I wonder what type of topics they would want to read about? Probably not vampires or Counts. But ya never know, older people aren't really old on the inside, only on the outside really." Then I decided that it isn't all bad being the older "more mature" one in the group. I'm confident many find my remarks quite enlightening and thought provoking and deep! Uh-huh, Laurie the philosopher, the thinker, the...OK I can't think of anymore words to describe me. :) :) Although, I 'm really not always the oldest one in my book group. There are two ladies (well, one now that the other has moved) that come often and I always love to hear their take on things. Really, it is pretty fun! and being older only means having more life experience and being a little bit wiser than I was when I was...younger! :)

3 comments:

Alisha said...

You are crazy! I'm cracking up over here :)

Honeycombs said...

It was funny to read this entry because as I was running this morning I though, "someday I will be the old lady in this ward, and I will only be 45." It is a crazy young ward and we here for forever.

Fisher Family said...

Laurie you are so funny...loved your Patriots Landing comment. You definitely don't look old and I love that you are like me and don't act old. We could fit in in any age group I think.