Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bindings, Lines, Memories and Love

A few years ago, when I lived in New York, I went to a Super Saturday and made these really cute soft cover books. My friend, Nadia, was the expert behind this project. (Remember Nadia?) She taught me how to bind these books in a few different ways and it was really cool.


My plan was to make one for each of my kids and then I would write in these books every so often, maybe write a letter, or just funny moments, spiritual moments, not-so-good moments...ya know, whatever. Something to pass on to my kids that hopefully they would cherish. I made 5 just in case I had another child. I've always wanted 5 or 6 kids but my body has decided on 4 which I'm not too thrilled about but hey, I've thought about adoption so we'll see. Maybe we will bring back a baby from Europe or something... Well, back to my story. These books still remain empty because I wanted to write very light lines in them so my writing would be straight cuz I tend to write at a slant. So, whenever I think about it, I always think," Well, I've still got to get those lines in there so it will be all nice, straight and pretty. :) But hey, man, times a tickin' and now I can't remember all the little things that would have been so nice to put in them. So I thought I would write something on my blog tonight (wow, I just looked at the time and it is kinda late but that's OK) about one of my kids, then I'll try to write about the others in the next few days. And hopefully I can get writing in those cool notebooks I made. So tonight is:

Why I love my son Brett

There are so many reasons why I love Brett. He has such a tender heart and a kind heart. He is always so kind. Every year his teachers tell me what an exceptionally kind and respectful child he is . There aren't too many out there like him. I love that he loves his siblings (for the most part) . He really loves Sophie and would love to spend more time with her but his sister is way more aggressive and demanding than he is so she usually gets the time with Sophie. He's so innocent and thru the years I've smiled at many of his earnest and heart felt questions. For a few years now he has asked many times when his next sibling would arrive. He finally knows what, "we are doing all we can to get one here" means. Funny. He is shy around me and only asks Dad private questions. I'm glad he asks though. :) I love that he tries hard at whatever he is doing. I love that he thinks fast is better no matter what it is. Like with piano...no counting needed...just do it as fast as you possibly can. You should see how fast he can play the Star Wars Theme. I love how he is working on his talents. I love that his prayers are becoming more sincere and that his knowledge of the gospel is increasing. I love that he is curious. I love how he asks questions. I mean LOTS of questions about everything and every possibility and every "what if". A couple weeks ago we were in the car and he just started going off asking question after question after question. I looked at Dave and we both just started cracking up. We couldn't stop laughing. And sweet Brett is like," What? Why are you laughing? What's so funny? I don't get it!"

I love Brett because he is my first born and I wasn't all that easy on him. Trust me, patience comes with time. I'm a lot more patient than I used to be but still have a long way to go. Brett still loved me when I wasn't super nice. I love Brett because out of all the kids he is the first one to come and say sorry for his behavior. And if he doesn't think I heard him, he will come right up to me and makes sure that I know that he is sorry. I love that he can tell when I'm having a bad day. He lets the other kids know it too! He's really sweet.
I love that he could care less about fashion, girls and cars. (Although, that may come later on). I love that he thinks he is pretty funny. I love that he is strong and that he can pick me up. I love his willingness to try something new. I love that he wants me to read the books that he reads because he wants to talk to me about them and then he wants me to suggest them for my book club choices. I love that he thanks Heavenly Father for the Atonement. I love his big brown eyes and dimple. And I simply love him because he is my son and a precious gift from God... I love you Brett. ( I know you don't want to hear that because it is embarrasing but I do and will forever!)

4 comments:

Megan said...

Maybe it's cuz I'm pregnant, but I'm totally tearing up! Brett really is such a sweet kid. He'll always have a special place in my heart, being the first kid to call me "Aunt".

We love you Brett!

PS... I was cracking up about how he does everything as fast as possible... like the Star Wars theme. Cant' wait to hear it :)

Jennifer said...

Got to love track club for teaching the boys all about "fast". Brett is always such a wellbehaved boy and so mild. Lucky you that he is so sweet with his sisters. Can he give Chase lessons!

Alisha said...

I'm not pregnant and I'm still tearing up! He is really going into a fine young man. Great job mom!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

um, yeah, i totally remember that enrichment super saturday. i will never ever do anything that complicated again. next time i'll simply do one type of paper, one stitch, one color of thread. i think i got way too excited about it. =) i'm glad you still have them, though. i love doing little books like that. the other thing i've been doing recently is instead of books, i do cards. it's always nice to have cute cards around.