Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Never Knew Canning Could Be So Fun!

Dave and I did some canning the other night when all the kids were in bed. Did you know that canning is fun? We did lots of wheat, sugar, flour, oats, powder milk and beans. We have about 6 months worth of the basic dry food. Seeing how we have been counselled by our prophets and church leaders, year after year to get our houses in order, save, don't go into debt, have some food storage for a rainy day (or month or two...or year), we have been taking that counsel to heart. And we both thought it was fun to do the canning at our place rather than going up to Kent to the cannery there. We liked it so much that we finished all 114 cans that night and took the canner back up the next day. The cannery people were surprised that we didn't keep it for the whole 3 days...nope, we just needed it for less than a day! So, we only have 6 months worth of food to go. As far as the 3 months supply of the everyday food that we eat, we have been working on that too! Lots of cans like soup, fruit, chili, green beans and so on! We try to store up on cereal too. The commisary was having a really good deal on cereal the other day! Honey nut Shredded Wheat was only $1.39 a box!! Nice! Well, I hope we all will be prepared when we need to be. Notice I said when and not if. Really...it is time to prepare! And an easy way to start storing water is to just buy an extra case or two when you are at Costco. Water is a MUST!!

But, I'm thinking I could just live off of this for a year!! Thick chocolate, watery chocolate, cold chocolate, hot chocolate...IT IS ALL GOOD! :)

5 comments:

Megan said...

yeah, I've been feeling the push to get our food storage put together. The only thing we have in storage is water. And... you can't live off that :) We've moved around so much the past few years that I've just put it off because I don't want to move it around.

So... are you taking it all to Germany with you?

I'm scared for the days that we'll have to use food storage, because, besides the obvious reasons of what that would mean, my kids won't eat anything in food storage. Except the hot chocolate. I guess they'll have to learn!

Sarah said...

I love your new background--so cute. And this post is the kick in the pants I need to get my food storage up to snuff. I'll have to pick your brain someday about the canner--how you prepared, how much it cost, etc.

Alisha said...

You guys are motivating me. I wish we could can our own stuff like that. Still not an excuse to not have it though.

The Seaquist Family said...

So awesome! Derek and I had a blast canning too. To the point that we kept going back for more. The movers did think we were a bit crazy when they save a couple hundred boxes that were all heavy and looked exactly the same...I didn't care a bit. It feels good to be a little prepared. Plus the closest cannery out here is something like 3 hrs. away.

Jennifer said...

Yeah for not starving!!!! I too am thinking I need to stock up a little more on the whole chocolate front. I think I would rather starve to death than live without chocolate!